Please call venue before going to make sure that the time and date are correct, and that the event or activity has not been canceled!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Saying Goodbye

My husband is absolutely amazing! 

On Sunday we needed to say good-bye as he flew home from Durango and we were on our way to Oregon via California.  He didn't complain, nor did he worry way too much (just a little), and I do think in some ways he was a bit excited for Boo to be able to continue on this grand adventure across the country, even if without him!

In my previous life, before kids, I was a road-warrior for work, so I'm not reluctant to drive or do lots of miles and hotels over a month.  What I hadn't planned on was how different traveling with kids is, to traveling solo.  They need many  more stops, more eating breaks and just a lot more time out of the car than in the car!

So, if you're planning to do something like this, plan for more stops than you think you'll need to make!  And, while I usually plan stops without hotel reservations, that too is something I'm now re-considering after realizing that sometimes you can't find a hotel when you need one!

That said, our next stop was Mesa Verde - we weren't able to do much of the park with Bug, but did see enough and do enough that Boo loved it and enjoyed it.



Once we were heading out of Mesa Verde I needed to decide where we'd stay for the night; with Boo eager to earn more Junior Ranger badges, the obvious choice was near Grand Canyon.  Little did I know that I'd have to drive late into the night to find a hotel (see above), though we did have a spectacular sunset along the way!


No comments: